Sunday, October 7, 2007

Eid is almost here...




Jumeirah beach at sunset, Burj-al-arab on left side

I'm days away from my 10 day holiday, and it can't come soon enough. School has been going well, but it is very tiring work, and unfortunately I've been sick twice now, and have finally resorted to antibiotics to kick it's butt...
I'm heading to Sri Lanka on Friday for a week with some other teachers. Tickets from here are extremely cheap, a couple hundred for a 4 hour plane ride. I land in Columbo (the main city) at 3 am and will be hiring a driver for the trip to Kandy. Will post after the trip of course, with all of the details!!
Eid-al-fitr marks the end of Ramadan (this Friday), which in my opinion can't come soon enough. The dinners at iftar are lovely, big buffet spreads with dates, juice, fish, chicken, curries, salads, and all-you-can-eat for a very reasonable price, but not being able to eat in public in the middle of the day is really a drag. I haven't ventured out on the weekends very much this past month, because it's too much of a hassle. Mostly, it's been parties in the evening, or Barasti Bar, the favorite ex-pat hangout, or the beach at sunset.
I still haven't been taken to get my blood test, step one in the process of acquiring the all-important residency card. They are taking the teachers in groups, and I'm in the second lot, because I was hired later. So it's still going to be a while until I can have internet at home, can open a bank account, get a liquor license (you can't buy alcohol without one here, but you can still buy alcohol at the bars), buy a car...
I think getting all of these things taken care of will make me feel like more of a human. It's funny how reliant you become on your "necessities" as a privileged American. What's the most challenging is not being able to talk to all of you, who are reading this (hint, hint). Phone calls are very much appreciated!! :)

4 comments:

yelshayerb said...

hi punkin ;), i am in long beach waiting for my plane back to DC. i was here for work in sacramento and to visit cole. you said that phone calls are appreciated...but how do i call you - what is your number??? miss you lots!

Amber Star said...

Hi my dear! I miss you too!!
Thanks for your message. My phone number is 971-55-932-8399. There are a number of phone cards online that you can buy to call, the only challenge is calling from a cell phone, because I think you need a land line (otherwise it's crazy expensive). My mom found a deal for 19 cents a minute. I will ask her for that info :)

.. said...

hey my darling! you must be back by now!! how was your vacation?? i miss you and
need to hear your voice soon. will next sunday work for you? or if that is too long i can wake up early and call you this week... what day is best for you?

xoxox
yer big sis

Tommyhothead said...

Tell us about Sri Lanka!